Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cloth Diapers

Last weekend when Mom was here, we attempted to make cloth diapers. However, the first diaper (and first ~7 hours of work) was a learn as you go, trouble-shooting experience. The diaper that resulted was non-functioning, but we learned a lot. The next day, I tried again and was successful. My goal was to replicate the Fuzzi Bunz pocket diaper as closely as I could. I think I pretty much got it... though we will have to wait a while to know if they work for sure. I am not planning to use these at first, maybe after 6 months, or just when they start to fit AnnaLynn. I figured there would be too much going on the first few months to worry with washing and cleaning cloth diapers. Even with waiting a while these diapers should be cost efficient and hopefully more environmental than disposables. Altogether, I spent about $100 and made 13 diapers with enough fabric left to make seven more (I will wait and see what other size I may need). So, let's say I never get around to making the last seven, they will have cost ~$7.70 each (Fuzzi Bunz retail for about $18 each). If a box of approximately 50 diapers of this size is $15 then I will need to use each diaper 25 times to make up the cost. This can easily be done in two months or less. If I do make the other seven diapers, they will have only cost $5 each and I will need to use each diaper 16 times to make up the cost. If they don't work, then I have spent a good chunk of change and a lot of time for nothing, but hey, it's worth a try to me.


Actual Fuzzi Bunz diaper, which I based my diaper pattern off of.




My diaper - waterproof outside so no diaper cover is needed.
Open diaper
Pocket where soaker pad goes in to do the absorption.

No comments:

Post a Comment