Monday, August 3, 2015

And so it begins...

Today is here. Today has come! Today is the first day of a journey that will last years.  Today we begin school.  I tried to decide when to start, knowing that once we begin there is no going back.  Once the schooling starts it will be exciting and joyful at first.  But I know weeks or months down the road there will be those days of "are we done yet?" "do I have to do this" and other comments that are discouraging and can break the desire to homeschool, or school in any sense. 

Once school starts she will no longer seem a little girl.  She will suddenly be much older.  As she gains the ability to read and write and add, it will be just another step toward independence.  One day the requests of "Mommy, please read me this book" will be replace by "no, it's ok, Mom.  I can read it myself."  How many more years will I have that special time with her once she can read for herself? Nevertheless, it is my privilege to be the one to teach and instruct her in academia as well as morals and life. I am honored and excited and nervous and a myriad of other emotions. I pray for diligence, wisdom, PATIENCE, and on and on. May I do right by her and by God's call on my life at this moment and this season. 

Alas, her time of independence has not yet come. I hear sleepy footsteps down the hall. In walks a beautiful, tall almost-five-year-old carrying her "snuggle blankets" that she has slept with since she was a baby and her teddy bear that says "Baby's first teddy" on its paw. And I hear the treasured words, "Mommy, can we snuggle?"  I close the computer and say "of course we can." She is still my baby, my little girl... And she always will be. 

Let the journey begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment